Founded in 1985 by Professor Richard Swanson on Standford University, SunPower is a NASDAQ, Russell 1000 Index, and Photovoltaik Global 30 Index listed corporation headquartered in San Jose, California.
Since it’s inception, SunPower has been setting and breaking records. With their patented Maxeon™ setting the record with a 22.8% conversion efficiency world record confirmed by the U.S. Department of Energy‘s National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) SunPowers 370W Maxeon X-Series generates more energy per panel by almost 100+ Watts than conventional panels, which means that an array of 1 panels would produce almost 1000 Watts more per day on average than a conventional panel array.
Selected SunPower Achievements and Milestones
- 2001 – World-record efficiency A-300 solar cells power NASA’s Helios project, achieving a record altitude of 96,863 feet.
- 2007 – record breaking high efficiency solar cell, averaging 22.4% conversion efficiency
- 2008 – world-record monocrystalline silicon prototype solar cell with efficiency of 23.4%
- 2009 – PlanetSolar chooses SunPower high-efficiency solar cells to power the world’s largest solar catamaran.
- 2011 -SunPower® Maxeon™ solar cell technology powers Solar Impulse, a prototype solar airplane, that for the first time in aviation history succeeds in flying for 26 consecutive hours powered only by solar energy.
- 2014 – SunPower achieves production milestone, manufacturing its one-billionth solar cell.
- 2015 – SunPower celebrates its 30th anniversary.